Tucked away at the end of the Canonmills to Trinity path is the old Trinity Railway Station with the platforms opposite, hidden beneath the undergrowth. The station is now a private residence.
The Edinburgh, Leith and Newhaven Railway line opened on 31 August 1842 and ran from Scotland Street in the New Town to Trinity near the Chain Pier, from where steamer services operated.
In 1849, the line was extended over Trinity Bridge and along the shore to Granton Harbour, which had opened in 1838.
A special 6.45am train from Waverley used to regularly bring bathers north from the city centre for a dip in the Forth.
Passenger trains to Granton stopped in 1925, (being replaced by trams); goods trains continued to use the line until 1986, after which the lines were lifted. The line is now part of the Canonmills to Trinity path.
Photo shows Trinity Station as it is today.