This Art Deco-styled building, in Craigmillar, was opened in 1936 as a roadhouse.It was designed by Edinburgh architect William Innes Thomson, and in its heyday contained a bar, a tearoom, a skittle alley and a billiard room.
It was in a derelict state until recently though before being restored and reopened this year, as part of wider plans to regenerate the surrounding area.As yet there are no definite plans for what the building will be used for, but it has already played host to an exhibition on the area’s history, so hopes of it being used as a new community facility seem well-founded.
Before its restoration, the site was rather sad looking (see photo). Now though, the future looks brighter. To see how it has transformed, watch the video of the reopened White House here on The Guardian, or better yet, why not stop round for a visit this weekend during Doors Open Day?
Photo by Peter Stubbs (Edinphoto). Used with permission.